Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Ridgeland Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 27-17
Location: at the intersection of Grays Highway (U.S. 278) and County Route 27-362, Ridgeland, SC
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 29.651    W 080° 59.240
  32.494183    -80.987333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church was organized February 28,1892, by Revs. W.H.Dowling and J.T. Morrison with nine charter members. It was admitted to the Savannah River Baptist Association with Rev.Dowling as its first minister. The congregation held services in the Masonic hall until 1894, when it built its first sanctuary, a frame building, on Main St. in Ridgeland.

(Revers )
Ridgeland Baptist Church, originally on Main St. in Ridgeland, moved to a brick sanctuary on the corner of Third Ave. and U.S. Hwy. 17 in 1925. A third sanctuary, built there in 1950, was enlarged and remodeled in 1963 and 1992. The church and all buildings except fellowship hall burned in 1995. The congregation then moved to this site, dedicating this new sanctuary in 1998.

Erected Cy The Congregation - 2001