Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Coosawhatchie



Marker ID: SCHM 27-18
Location: Hwy 462 at the RR tracks in Coosawhatchie South Carolina.
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 35.362    W 080° 55.762
  32.589367    -80.929367
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Coosawhatchie, dating to the 1740´s, as named for the Coosaw tribe. At first it was little more than a store and inn built on the King´s Highway by Henry DeSaussure, a Huguenot settler from Purrysburg. By the 1760´s it was a regional trading post and crossroads. During the Revolution British troops burned most of the buildings and the nearby bridge in a 1779 raid.

(reverse)Coosawhatchie served as the capitol of Beaufort District from 1789 to 1836, when a new courthouse was built in Gillisonville. In 1861-62 Gen Robert E. Lee, commanding the Confederate Dept. of S.C. and Ga., had his headquarters here. In 1864, during the last months of the Civil War, several skirmishes were fought nearby. This has been a village of farmers and merchants ever since.

Erected by Citizens and friends of Coosawhatchie - 2001