Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St Matthews Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 27-20
Location: South Carolina Route 336, Tillman, SC
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 27.751    W 081° 05.407
  32.462517    -81.090117
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This church was founded in 1870 with Rev. Plenty Pinckney as its first minister and worshipped in a "bush tent" nearby until a log church was built a few years later. A new frame church was built on this site in the 1890´s during the pastorate of Rev. C.L. Lawton. The present sanctuary was built in 1960 during the tenure of Rev. R.M. Youmans, who served here for more than 35 years.

Erected by The Congregation - 2002