Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Oak Grove Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 27-21
Location: Rivers Mill Rd., Grays, SC
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 40.254    W 081° 4.321
  32.6709    -81.07201666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church was organized in 1870 by Revs. John D. Nix, W.H. Shuman, and Jonas Trowell. F.J. Bryan and A.W. Crosby were its first deacons; Rev. Trowell became its first minister. This sanctuary, dedicated in 1871, was built on land later donated by John D. Rivers. The congregation, which grew to as many as 66 members by 1913, held services the second Sunday of each month.

(Reverse)
Oak Grove, long affiliated with the Savannah River Baptist Association, saw its membership decline over the years and eventually discontinued regular services in 1942. In 1989 descendants of charter members and other former members began restoring the original frame sanctuary. Oak Grove Baptist Church was formally reorganized and resumed services once more in 2000.

Erected by the Congregation in Memory of George and Elise Malphrus Roberts, 2003