Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Gillisonville Baptist Church*



Marker ID: SCHM 27-23
Location: on east side of SC 462 at the church in Gillisonville
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 36.448    W 080° 59.920
  32.607467    -80.998667
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The Euhaw congregation constituted this ecclesiastical group 24 March 1832, naming it Coosawhatchie Baptist Church. The South Carolina Baptist Convention met at the church in December 1845 and unanimously voted to join the recently formed Southern Baptist Convention. In February 1865, General William Tecumseh Sherman´s troops visited the church and etched "War of 1861 & 62 & 63 & 64 Feb

(Reverse)
7th 1865 this is done by a Yankee Soldier," on the communion silver. The congregation became Gillisonville ´. Baptist Church 19 November 1885. The 1845 church building, placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, is a local interpretation of Greek Revival style of architecture; notable features include the slave gallery and box pews.

Erected by the congregation - 1994