Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Ridgeland



Marker ID: SCHM 27-24
Location: in a small park on W Main Street (336) in downtown Ridgeland, SC.
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 28.892    W 080° 58.957
  32.481533    -80.982617
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Ridgeland, named for its location on the ridge between Charleston and Savannah, has been the seat of Jasper County since the county was created in 1912. It was first named Gopher Hill and grew up around a depot built on the Charleston & Savannah RR in 1860. The tracks were the boundry between Beaufort and Hampton counties, and Ridgeland belonged to two counties until 1912.

(reverse)
Chartered and incorporated in 1894, Ridgeland had a population of about 500 when it became the new seat of Jasper County in 1912. The Georgian Revival courthouse was designed by William Augustus Edwards and built in 1915. U.S. Hwy. 17, constructed in the 1020´s has long brought many visitors through the town on their trips to and through the lowcountry.