Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Grays Consolidated High School



Marker ID: SCHM 27-25
Location: U.S. Hwy. 278, Grays, SC
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 40.453    W 081° 1.269
  32.67421666    -81.02115
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This school, built in 1927 and rebuilt in 1931, was one of many constructed in the late 1920s, as small rural one- or two-room schools were consolidated into elementary or high schools in towns and cities. Built on land donated by Robert L. Robinson, it included grades 1-11 until grade 12 was added in 1948-49.

(Reverse)
This school, designed by Columbia architect James Hagood Sams (1872-1935), was burned by an arsonist in 1929. It was rebuilt according to Sams´s plans in 1931, at a cost of $14,000. The Grays Consolidated High School closed in the early 1970s. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.

Erected by the Grays School Preservation Committee, Alumni, and Friends of the School, 2008