Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Camden



Marker ID: SCHM 28-4
Location: Hampton Park on E DeKalb St (US 1) in Camden, SC.
County: Kershaw
Coordinates: N 34° 14.811    W 080° 36.106
  34.24685    -80.60176666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This area, first held by Wateree and Catawba Indians, was laid out as Fredericksburg Township in 1733. Here on the Catawba Path, the trading town of Pine Tree Hill was settled. In 1769 courts were set up and the town named Camden in honor of Lord Camden, friend of the colonies. During the Revolution, Camden was the center of British activity in this region. It was incorporated in 1791.

Erected by Kershaw County Historical Society and The City of Camden - 1958