Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pleasant Hill Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 28-7
Location: US 1, Bethune
County: Kershaw
Coordinates: N 34° 23.892    W 080° 19.71
  34.3982    -80.3285
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(reverse)
The first Baptist Church in this area of Kershaw County was founded in a wooded area on Mecklenburg Road, two miles south of Lynchwood, now the town of Bethune. The church was founded in 1852 by Ellie Copeland and established on land owned by the Copeland family, who deeded most of the 1.68 acre lot in 1895.

(Reverse)
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church Five buildings have been used for worship services: a log and plank church about 1852-1897; a one room white frame building 1897-1951, sold at auction in 1951; a 11h story brick sanctuary, burned in 1953; the John M. Catoe store building; and this sanctuary, educational building and pastorium dedicated on January 30, 1955.

Erected by Lynches River Historical Society - 1973