Historic Markers Across South Carolina



E.H. Dibble Store



Marker ID: SCHM 28-13
Location: Intersection of E DeKalb St (US 1) and Broad St (US 521), Canden, SC
County: Kershaw
Coordinates: N 34° 14.776    W 080° 36.434
  34.24626666    -80.60723333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

E.H. DIBBLE STORE

This store, constructed in 1891 on what was then the corner of 6th Avenue (now Broad Street) and DeKalb Street, was the second home of E.H. Dibble and Brothers Grocery, which sold "general merchandise" as well as "heavy and fancy groceries" and operated in downtown Camden for more than fifty years. "The family is known all over the state," historian Asa Gordon wrote in 1929, "and its achievement in the mercantile business is of historic importance."

EUGENE H. DIBBLE

Eugene Heriot Dibble (1855-1934), prominent Camden merchant, was the son of Andrew H. and Ellie Naudin Dibble. He also served in the S.C. House 1876-78. The first Dibble store in Camden, founded by Eugene´s brother John Moreau Dibble (1848-1877), was on lower Main Street; after his death Ellie Naudin Dibble and her sons operated it. After E.H. Dibble´s death in 1934 an obituary recalled, "he always lent his influence for the good of the community."

ERECTED BY THE NAUDIN-DIBBLE HERITAGE FOUNDATION, 2001