Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Warrenton Muster Ground



Marker ID: SCHM 28-14
Location: S.C. Hwy. 522, about .02 mi. S of the Lancaster County-Kershaw County line, between Stoneboro and Liberty Hill
County: Kershaw
Coordinates: N 34° 31.22    W 080° 46.279
  34.52033333    -80.77131666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The Warrenton Muster Ground, originally known as Gardner´s Old Field, was a nineteenth and early-twentieth century meeting place for local militia companies. The area was named Warrenton after thirty families from Warrenton, N.C. settled here shortly after the American Revolution. The Beaver Creek Militia and Liberty Hill Rifles met here for many years.

(Reverse)
The Beaver Creek Militia, made up of men from southern Lancaster and northern Kershaw counties, met here between the Revolution and the Civil War. The Liberty Hill Rifles, made up of men from the same area and Fairfield County as well, met here between the Civil War and about 1910. Both companies mustered for inspections, drills, mock battles, picnics, and political speeches.

Erected by the Kershaw County Historical Society, 2005