Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Monroe Boykin Park



Marker ID: SCHM 28-17
Location: Campbell Street, Camden, SC
County: Kershaw
Coordinates: N 34° 15.349    W 080° 36.742
  34.25581666    -80.61236666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This five-acre park, laid out in the 1798 city plan, features large pine trees reminiscent of the area before the Revolution, when Camden was known as “Pine Tree Hill.” In 1912 it was named Monroe Boykin Park for Rev. Monroe Boykin (d. 1904), longtime pastor of Mount Moriah Baptist Church, one of Camden´s oldest African-American churches. Boykin, born a slave, had been owned by Judge T.J. Withers after Withers´s marriage to Elizabeth Boykin in 1831.

(Reverse)
After emancipation Monroe Boykin was given two acres here by Withers´s heirs. In 1866 he and other freedmen withdrew from First Baptist Church of Camden to form a new congregation. Ordained by Northern missionaries, Boykin became the first pastor of Mount Moriah Baptist Church and served for 34 years. He also founded many churches in Kershaw, Lancaster, Sumter, and Clarendon Counties. In 1912 the city developed a part of Boykin´s land here into Monroe Boykin Park.

Erected by the City of Camden, 2011