Historic Markers Across South Carolina



King Haiglar Tower



Marker ID: DAR 
Location: Broad St (US 521) at Rutledge St, Camden, SC
County: Kershaw
Coordinates: N 34° 14.690    W 080° 36.425
  34.24483333    -80.60708333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

King Haiglar is often called the patron saint of Camden. From about 1750 until his murder by hostile Indians in 1763, this noble Catawba chief was a valuable friend to the pioneers of Pine Tree Hill, as Camden was then known. Some time between 1815 and 1826, J.B. Mathieu executed this 5´1" iron effigy of King Haiglar and presented it to the town. It has stood as a weather vane at other locations since then and was placed here when the Opera House (since razed) and its tower were built in 1886. A copy of Mathieu´s likeness of King Haiglar stands atop City Hall, built in 1955.

CITY OF CAMDEN 1977