Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Northwest Redoubt



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Campbell St and Bull St, Camden, SC
County: Kershaw
Coordinates: N 34° 15.12    W 080° 36.494
  34.252    -80.60823333
 



Text:

Northwest Redoubt


In 1780 - 81, the British built a series of small forts or redoubts to serve as an outer line of defense for their headquarters at Camden. They were well fortified with troops and artillery, making Camden relatively impenetrable to attack by the Colonial forces. The two western redoubts on Campbell St. protected Camden’s important western flank from the Wateree river. The large redoubt on this site spanned the intersection of Campbell and Bull Streets. It was destroyed by the British when they evacuated in 1781.

Kershaw County Clean Community Commission, Historic Campbell Street Committee.