Historic Markers Across South Carolina



West Redoubt



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Meeting St. and Campbell St, Camden, SC
County: Kershaw
Coordinates: N 34° 14.038    W 080° 36.58
  34.23396666    -80.60966666
 



Text:

West Redoubt


In 1780 - 81, the British built a series of small forts or redoubts to serve as an outer line of defense for their headquarters at Camden. They were fortified with troops and artillery, making Camden relatively impenetrable to attack by the Colonial forces. The two western redoubts on Campbell St. protected Camden’s important western flank from Wateree river. The large redoubt on this site spanned the intersection of Meeting and Campbell Streets. It was destroyed by the British when they evacuated in 1781.

Kershaw County Clean Community Commission, Historic Campbell Street Committee.