Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County



Marker ID: DAR 29-8
Location: Central Elementary School, Dunlap Street, Lancaster
County: Lancaster
Coordinates: N 34° 43.14    W 080° 46.416
  34.719    -80.7736
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This land has been dedicated to the cause of education since 1799 when Rev. John Brown, Dr. Samuel C. Dunlap, Wm. Nisbet, John Ingram, and John Montgomery were named trustees for a school, known in 1802 as Lancaster Academy. It grew into Franklin Academy, 1825, the Graded School, 1893, and Central School, 1915.

Erected by Waxhaws Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution - 1967


Notes:

Two sided - Franklin Academy