Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Lancasterville Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 29-15
Location: on West Gay Street between French and Plyler Streets, Lancaster, SC
County: Lancaster
Coordinates: N 34° 43.050    W 080° 46.400
  34.7175    -80.77333333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This congregation was organized May 5, 1835. Its first minister was James H. Thornwell, who later headed SC College in Columbia. The Gothic Revival building was dedicated 1862 and entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. The congregation, now First Presbyterian Church, moved in 1926 and this building, purchased in 1961 by Dr. Ben F. Emanuel, was presented to the community in 1976.

Erected by Lancaster County Historical Commission - 1985