Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Flat Creek Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 29-20
Location: Infront of the church, S.c. Hwy. 265 near Kershaw
County: Lancaster
Coordinates: N 34° 37.734    W 080° 27.984
  34.6289    -80.4664
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This church, organized July 4, 1776 by Rev. George Pope, a native of Virginia, held its first meetings in a brush arbor on this site and was known as the Upper Fork of Lynches Creek until it was renamed Flat Creek Baptist Church in, 1881. The first permanent sanctuary, a log building, was replaced by a frame sanctuary which burned in 1912; the present sanctuary was built in 1913.

Erected by Lancaster County Historical Commission - 1997