Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Kershaw's First Library



Marker ID: SCHM 29-24
Location: N. Cleveland St., Kershaw, SC
County: Lancaster
Coordinates: N 34° 32.844    W 080° 34.986
  34.5474    -80.5831
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This building, originally just south of Kershaw on what is now U.S. Hwy. 521, was built in 1900 for Capt. James V. Welsh (1845-1906) as the office for J.V. Welsh & Sons, a lumber mill. It later housed Kershaw´s first circulating library, founded by the McDowell Music Club, from its creation in 1934 until a new library was built in 1949. The building, moved to this site in 2001, serves as the office for the Stevens Foundation.

Erected by the Stevens Foundation and the Kershaw Centennial Commission, 2002