Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Welsh's Station / Kershaw Depot



Marker ID: SCHM 29-25
Location: at the Kershaw Depot, N. Cleveland St., Kershaw, SC
County: Lancaster
Coordinates: N 34° 32.877    W 080° 34.986
  34.54795    -80.5831
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

WELSH´S STATION

Welsh´s Station, a depot on the Charleston, Cincinnati, & Chicago Railroad built in 1888, stood at or near this site. The town of Kershaw was first named for Capt. James V. Welsh, who donated 63 acres on which to establish a town and promised the railroad title to every other lot laid out in it. When it was incorporated in 1888 the town limits of Kershaw extended one-half mile in every direction from the depot.

KERSHAW DEPOT

This depot, built in 1926 by the Southern Railway, replaced a late 19th-early 20th century passenger and freight depot/cotton platform which burned that year. It is typical of 20th-century depots built throughout the Southeast. Primarily a passenger station, it also handled cotton and textile products from nearby farms and textile or cotton oil mills. The Kershaw Depot was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.

Erected by the Lancaster County History Commission, 2002