Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Springs Block



Marker ID:  
Location: 211 South Main St, Lancaster, SC
County: Lancaster
Coordinates: N 34° 43.1    W 080° 46.167
  34.71833333    -80.76945
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

center> The Springs Block

Built by Colonel Leroy Springs in 1905 of red brick stretcher and common bond brick, this block has housed many of Lancaster's leading businesses. In 1936, fire destroyed the southern end of the block which included the Hotel Royale and Lancaster Merchantile. The entire block was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in August of 1984. It was restored in 1986 in conjunction with Lancaster's Main Street Revitalization program.