Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Laurens County



Marker ID: SCHM 30-6
Location: on Laurens County Court House Grounds
County: Laurens
Coordinates: N 34° 29.977    W 082° 00.861
  34.499617    -82.01435
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Laurens County was one of the six counties created from Ninety-Six District March 12, 1785. The courthouse here, built in 1838 by Dr. John Simpson, and remodeled and enlarged in 1858, 1911, 1940, and 1973, was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Three Laurens women, Ann Pamela Cunningham, Dr. Wil Lou Gray, and Dr. Anne A. Young are in the S.C. Hall of Fame.

Erected by Laurens County Historical Society and Laurens County - 1985


Notes:

Two sided - Laurens Historic District