Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Laurens Historic District



Marker ID: SCHM 30-6
Location: on Laurens County Court House Grounds
County: Laurens
Coordinates: N 34° 29.977    W 082° 00.861
  34.499617    -82.01435
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This historic district, part of a royal landgrant to John Rodgers in 1774, was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It includes the courthouse square and surrounding commercial buildings and extends north and west into residential areas. In the 1820s Andrew Johnson, 17th president of the U.S., worked as a tailor here. S.C. governors Wm. D. Simpson & Robert A. Cooper were natives of Laurens.

Erected by Laurens County Historical Society and Laurens County - 1985


Notes:

Two sided - Laurens County