Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Watts - Todd - Dunklin House



Marker ID: SCHM 30-9
Location: 544 W. Main St., Laurens, SC
County: Laurens
Coordinates: N 34° 29.783    W 082° 1.34
  34.49638333    -82.02233333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The Watts-Todd-Dunklin House, built about 1818, is an excellent example of a Federal-era upcountry farmhouse. According to family tradition, it was built for Washington Williams (1777-1829), who gave it to his daughter Nancy (1799-1845) when she married James Watts, Jr. (1795-1833). In 1845 Nancy Watts sold the house and 30 acres to Samuel R. Todd (1809-1891). It remained in the Todd family until 1938.

(Reverse)
The Todd family owned this house from 1845 to 1938. It then passed through a succession of owners until 1950, when James Gray Dunklin (1911-1973), an antiques collector and historic preservationist, acquired it. Dunklin, who restored the house, donated it to the Laurens County Landmarks Foundation as a house museum upon his death in 1973. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Erected by the Laurens County Landmarks Foundation, 2001