Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Laurens County Training School



Marker ID: SCHM 30-10
Location: Just off West Mill St., Gray Court, SC
County: Laurens
Coordinates: N 34° 36.317    W 082° 7.134
  34.60528333    -82.1189
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The Laurens County Training School, located here 1924-1954, had its origins in Gray Court School, a one-room school founded ca. 1890 on the grounds of Pleasant View Baptist Church. The training school, opened in 1924 in a building constructed with assistance from the Rosenwald Fund, taught grades 8-11 until 1948.

(Reverse)
This school, at first emphasizing farming and homemaking skills, later expanded its curriculum to include more academic courses and became an accredited high school in 1948-49 with the addition of grade 12. The school closed and was later demolished when Laurens County schools were consolidated in 1954.

Erected by the Laurens County Training School Alumni Committee, 2001