Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Martin's Store



Marker ID: SCHM 30-11
Location: Indian Mound Rd. (S.C. Sec. Rd. 30-6), Mt. Gallagher community, Ware Shoals, SC
County: Laurens
Coordinates: N 34° 23.95    W 082° 11.817
  34.39916666    -82.19695
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This store, first known as Daniel´s store or the “Beehive,” was built before the Civil War by James Wright Daniel (1814-1904) and several business partners. In 1878 James Martin (1815-1879) bought the store from the other partners and became sole owner until his death early the next year. Martin´s son J.C. Martin (1861-1949) and his grandsons ran this general store for the next 119 years.

(Reverse)
The grandsons, J.Y. Martin (1906-1969) and J.H. Martin (1907-2000) continued to operate the store until it closed in 1997. It sold groceries, dry goods, automotive and farm supplies; was a polling place; housed a doctor´s office and was the site of many community gatherings. The Masons, the Grange, and the Woodmen of the World held meetings on the second floor for many years.

Erected by the Laurens County Historical Society, 2004