Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Broad Street Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 30-18
Location: 310 North Broad Street, Clinton, SC
County: Laurens
Coordinates: N 34° 28.547    W 081° 52.845
  34.47578333    -81.88075
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This congregation can trace its roots to Zion Church, est. in 1826 in Laurens County. Its founding took place during the expansion associated with the Second Great Awakening. In 1854, this Methodist congregation moved to W. Main St. in Clinton, one of the first to locate in town. The original structure was destroyed by fire in 1880. As it grew in numbers, the church built twice on that site.

(Reverse)
By 1914, additional growth required larger facilities and property was purchased on N. Broad St. A brick neoclassical church, designed by architect J.H. Casey, was built and the congregation was renamed Broad St. In 1917, this church was host to the bishop and delegates of the Upper S.C. Methodist Conference. After 54 years of useful service, this old church was replaced by a new sanctuary in 1970.

Sponsored by Broad Street United Methodist Church, 2014