Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Rev. John Leighton Wilson, D.D. (March 25, 1809-July 13, 1886)



Marker ID:  31-3
Location: on Nancy Branch Rd, about 1.8 miles S of its intersec­tion with US 401
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 34° 03.152    W 080° 11.777
  34.05253333    -80.19628333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

His home stood on this site. With his wife, Jane Bayard Wilson, he served as a Presbyterian missionary on the western coast of Africa 1833-1852. He advocated ending the slave trade and by 1844 had freed all his own slaves. Foreign mission secretary in the Presbyterian Church for thirty-three years, he served as a chaplain, C.S.A.

Erected by Lee County Historical Commission - 1963