Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Bishopville



Marker ID: SCHM 31-5
Location: 123 Main St, Bishopville, SC
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 34° 13.046    W 080° 14.976
  34.21743333    -80.2496
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Bishopville


A trading center and polling place for Upper Salem in old Claremont County in the early 1800's, Bishopville was laid out on land acquired by Dr. Jacques Bishop. In 1824 a post office was established here. The town was chartered in 1888. When Lee County was organized in 1902, commemorating Gen. Robert E. Lee, it became the county seat.

Erected by
Lee County Historical Commission
1963.