Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hall's Mill



Marker ID: SCHM 31-15
Location: S.C. Sec. Rd. 31-21 at Scape Ore Creek, 1.1 mi. W of its intersection with S.C. Sec. Rd. 31-41, Lucknow, SC
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 34° 16.623    W 080° 22.32
  34.27705    -80.372
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
A water-powered grist mill stood here as early as 1824, on land owned by William W. Hall, who had acquired the property from John Hall in 1809. William Hall operated the mill until he sold it to Harrison Hall shortly before the Civil War. Hall´s Mill, which appears in Robert Mills´s 1824 Atlas of South Carolina, was destroyed by a flood in 1928. The present mill was built by C.M. Stokes in 1929.

(Reverse)
This mill, built in 1929, was operated by Hall descendant Archie Hopkins when it closed in 1965. The first floor included a general store which served as the center of the Lucknow community for many years, while the second floor was reserved for the Masonic lodge. Hall´s Mill, with its original equipment intact, is an excellent early twentieth-century grist mill.

Erected by the Lee County Historical Society, 2000