Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 31-16
Location: on St Charles Hwy (SC 154) near County Rd 235
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 34° 06.027    W 080° 13.639
  34.10045    -80.22731666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church was established in 1809. Its first building, a frame church, was built 1.5 mi. N on Broad Branch. The congregation moved to this site in 1829 and built a second church, also a frame building, in the 1830s. Mt. Zion´s longest serving minister, Rev. William M. Reid, was the pastor here from 1833 to 1872.

(Reverse)
The cemetery here dates from 1830, and the session house was built in 1851. A third frame church, built in 1855, burned in 1910. The present Neo-Classical Revival brick church, designed by the firm of Wilson & Sompayrac, was built in 1911. Mt. Zion was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.

Erected by the Congregation, 2005