Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Lynchburg Presbyterian Church and Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 31-17
Location: on Lynchburg Hwy (SC 341) just north of Black Swamp rd (Co. Rd 101)
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 34° 03.290    W 080° 03.841
  34.05483333    -80.06401666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church was organized in 1855 by 21 charter members who met in the nearby Methodist church. This Greek Revival church, built of hand-hewn pine and featuring galleries on either side, was built that year with the help of their neighbors. Rev. W.W. Wilson, a native of Ireland, served as its first pastor.

(Reverse)
This church is one of the few buildings still standing from the original town of Lynchburg. When the railroad was built one mile north in 1854 and that area was renamed Lynchburg, this community became South Lynchburg. The church and cemetery were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.

Erected by the Lynchburg Cemetery Association, Inc., 2005