Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Dennis High School



Marker ID: SCHM 31-18
Location: 410 West Cedar Ln., Bishopville, SC
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 34° 13.451    W 080° 14.927
  34.22418333    -80.24878333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Dennis High School, built in 1936, was the first high school for African-American students in Lee County. Built on land donated by philanthropist Rebecca Dennis, it was named in her honor. This school was originally intended as an elementary school, but when the old elementary school burned shortly before this school opened it became both an elementary school and high school. It was the only black high school in Lee County for several years.

(Reverse)
The auditorium here was a significant social center for blacks throughout Lee County. In 1948, when a new Dennis High School opened, this became Dennis Elementary School. In 1954, a state program to equalize funding for black and white schools built a new Dennis High and Elementary School. The original Dennis High School was renovated and served as Dennis Primary School until it closed in 1970. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.

Erected by the Dennis Community Development Corporation of Lee County, 2007