Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Bishopville High School



Marker ID: SCHM 31-19
Location: 600 N. Main St., Bishopville, SC
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 34° 13.435    W 080° 14.47
  34.22391666    -80.24116666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This high school, built in 1936, is an excellent example of a Colonial Revival school built by the Public Works Administration (PWA), a New Deal program of Franklin D. Roosevelt´s administration. Designed by architect Henry Dudley Harrall (1878-1959) of Bennettsville, it was built and furnished for $71,000 and was described as “one of the most modern school plants in the state” when it was completed.

(Reverse)
The high school featured sixteen large classrooms and a combination gymnasium and auditorium. Its first graduating class was in 1937. The school included grades 8-11 until 1947, when it added grade 12. It was expanded in 1956, 1965, and 1986 before closing in 2000 when a new high school was built south of town. This school was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.

Erected by Alumni, Former Employees, and Friends of Bishopville High School, 2009