Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Lexington Courthouses



Marker ID: SCHM 32-2
Location: Erected by Lexington County Historical Society - 1961
County: Lexington
Coordinates: N 33° 58.867    W 081° 14.167
  33.98111666    -81.23611666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

On this site or close by have stood five courthouses of Lexington District or County. In 1820 Barbara Corley deeded land in the present town for a centrally located courthouse. A later antebellum building was burned Feb. 17, 1865, by Sherman. Two successive buildings were in use before the present one was dedicatee on Jan. 15, 1940.

Erected by Lexington County Historical Society - 1961