Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. Stephen's Church



Marker ID: SCHM 32-24
Location: Corner of Butler and Church streets, Lexington
County: Lexington
Coordinates: N 33° 59.0    W 081° 14.2
  33.98333333    -81.23666666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This Lutheran Church, founded by 1830, and the earliest church in Lexington, dedicated its first-known house of worship on this site in 1831. In 1865 Union troops under Wm. T. Sherman burned the structure. The congregation´s second building, dedicated 1870, was destroyed by fire in 1898. The third church, built by 1901 on the present site, was replaced by the current edifice, dedicated in 1958.

Erected by the Congregation - 1994