Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. Peter's (Meetze's) Lutheran Church



Marker ID: SCHM 32-29
Location: 1130 St. Peter's Church Rd., Lexington, SC
County: Lexington
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This church, organized in 1780, held services in German and English until 1874. In 1835 it aligned with the Tennessee Synod and remained in it until 1922, when St. Peter´s reunited with the South Carolina Synod. This 1953 sanctuary is the fourth house of worship. Among St. Peter´s most prominent ministers were Revs. John Yost Meetze, who served 1810-33, and J.A. Cromer, who served 1883-1921.

Erected by the Congregation, 1998