Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Lewie Chapel (Old Gilbert Methodist Church) / The Lewie Family



Marker ID: SCHM 32-31
Location: Lewie St., Gilbert, SC
County: Lexington
Coordinates: N 33° 55.413    W 081° 23.317
  33.92355    -81.38861666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Lewie Chapel
(Old Gilbert Methodist Church)


Lewie Chapel, a Methodist church founded on this site in the 1870s by Solomon R. Lewie (1835-1878) and others, was later known as Lewiedale Methodist Church and after 1910 as Gilbert Methodist Church. The original sanctuary, replaced in 1960 by a new sanctuary about 1 mi. W, burned in the early 1970s.


The Lewie Family


The town of Gilbert, also known as Gilbert Hollow, was called Lewiedale from 1886 to 1899 after the family of Samuel (1802-1865) and Nancy Hendrix Lewie (1807-1865). Four of six Lewie sons saw Confederate service in the 15th S.C. Infantry, with Frederick S. (1831-1873) as its lieutenant colonel and James H. (1838-1889) as a captain. Several family members are buried here.

Erected by the 15th Reg. S.C. Vols., Sons of Confederate Veterans, 2000