Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Springdale



Marker ID: SCHM 32-35
Location: Corner of Platt Springs Rd. & Springdale Rd., Springdale, SC
County: Lexington
Coordinates: N 33° 57.542    W 081° 6.566
  33.95903333    -81.10943333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This community, which was incorporated as Springdale in 1955, was known as Long Branch for many years and named for a nearby branch of the Congaree River. At the turn of the twentieth century it was a farming community along both sides of Platt Springs Road. In 1955 residents who opposed plans to annex Long Branch into West Columbia voted to incorporate as a town, named for the many springs in the area. Job B. Roof was elected the town´s first intendant, or mayor.

Erected by the Town of Springdale, 2008