Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Jeffcoats’ Meeting House



Marker ID:  
Location: intersection of Main Str (State Highway 178) and Whetstone Rd (Highway 3), Swansea, SC
County: Lexington
Coordinates: N 33° 39.562    W 081° 10.828
  33.65936666    -81.18046666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Jeffcoats’ Meeting House
C. 1775


Erected as a log structure, Jeffcoats' Meeting House was a Wesleyan meeting house and school to Big Pond Branch, a small community along a branch of the north fork of the Edisto river in an area known as The Indian Head. This meeting house was founded by English immigrants and missionaries Samuel and William Jeffcoat outside of the established townships of Orangeburgh, Amelia and Saxe Gotha and New Windsor, in an area known to be inhabited by Native Americans. The region and meeting house were visited by Bishop Francis Asbury three times by 1816.

Big Pond Branch Historical Research Society,
Ebenezer United Methodist Church Marker Committee.
2015