Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Marion Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 34-7
Location: Corner of S Main and Presbyterian Streets, Marion
County: Marion
Coordinates: N 34° 10.579    W 079° 24.042
  34.17631666    -79.4007
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
David E. Frierson of Harmony Presbytery first preached here at Marion Courthouse in 1841. The church was organized in Feb. 1852 with six charter members: Archibald and Margaret Carmichael of Little Pee Dee Church, Rebecca E. Frierson of Great Pee Dee Church, Sophia E. McIntyre of Hopewell Church, Duncan J. McDonald from Smyrna, N.C., and David Gibson from DaIry, Scotland.

(Reverse)
This house of worship, dedicated in February 1852, stands on land given by Archibald McIntyre. In 1913 Sunday School rooms were added on the west end of the original structure and new pews were purchased. The bell dates from 1911 and the organ from 1919. During the early 1970s, the church was renovated to include an enlarged sanctuary, new choir room and rear entrance. It was rededicated in April 1975.

Erected by The Congregation - 1977