Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mullins



Marker ID: SCHM 34-9
Location: on Main Street between North and South Fronts Streets, Mullins
County: Marion
Coordinates: N 34° 12.33    W 079° 15.264
  34.2055    -79.2544
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The town of Mullins was incorporated March 4, 1872 by an act of the S.C. General Assembly which set town limits "half a mile north, one-quarter of a mile east and west, and one-third of a mile south" from a stake here. Dr. Rudolph Vampill was elected first intendant and A. E. Gilchrist, D. W. Ketchum, James Norton, and Stephen Smith, wardens. Smith was also the community´s first postmaster, appointed in 1855.

Erected by Marion County Historical Society-1981


Notes:

Two sided - Mullins Depot