Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Town Hall and Opera House



Marker ID: SCHM 34-10
Location: Corner of West Court Street and Godbold Street, Marion
County: Marion
Coordinates: N 34° 10.684    W 079° 24.06
  34.17806666    -79.401
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This brick building is a fine vernacular interpretation of the Classic Revival style. Completed in 1892, the construction was financed through a $10,000 bond issue; this included an artesian well nearby. The lower floor contained a council room, market, guard rooms and, after 1910, sleeping rooms for the fire department. The council room also provided the setting for many social occasions.

(Reverse)
The second floor of this building contained a 525-seat auditorium that was used for traveling road shows, graduations, and other Marion events for many years. In 1920 the property was sold and converted to commercial use. The city of Marion purchased the historic building in 1980, and with guidance from Mayor T. C. Atkinson, Jr., renovated it for civic use.

Erected by Marion County Historical Society - 1983