Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Bennettsville



Marker ID: SCHM 35-1
Location: Courthouse and City Hall grounds, Bennettsville
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 37.008    W 079° 41.059
  34.6168    -79.68431666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In 1819 the court house of Marlborough District was transferred from Carlisle, a village on the Pee Dee River, to this more central location. Bennettsville developed around the new court house in the heart of a rich farm land area. On March 6, 1863, it was occupied by the 17th Army Corps, U.S.A., commanded by Gen. W. T. Sherman.

Erected by Bennettsville Jaycees - 1962