Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Marlborough County Court House



Marker ID: SCHM 35-2
Location: Courthouse grounds, Bennettsville
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 36.999    w 079° 41.076
  34.61665    -79.6846
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Four court houses for Marlborough District or County have stood on this square since Apr. 4, 1820, when it was deeded by John S. Thomas for that purpose. The first court house, completed before 1824, was replaced by a new building in 1852, which was occupied by Union troops in 1865. A third building was finished in 1885. The present court house was built in 1951-1952.

Erected by Bennettsville Jaycees - 1962