Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Welsh Neck Settlement



Marker ID: SCHM 35-5
Location: NW side of us 15-401 on Marlboro County side at Pee Dee River bridge
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 31.653    W 079° 49.712
  34.52755    -79.82853333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Baptists from Pennsylvania and Delaware settled on the east bank of the Pee Dee as early as 1737. Most of the lands in the Welsh Neck, from Crooked Creek to Hunt´s Bluff, had been granted by 1746. A Baptist congregation was organized in 1738. The first church, predecessor of the Welsh Neck Baptist Church in Society Hill, stood one mile upstream.

Erected by Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission - 1970