Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Bennettsville Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 35-7
Location: Main Street, Bennettsville
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 37.115    W 079° 40.8
  34.61858333    -79.68
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The first Methodist house of worship in Marlboro County was at Beauty Spot, two miles north of here, where, in 1788, Bishop Asbury attended a meeting. By 1834, the first church in town had been built here on llh acres of land donated by W. J. Cook. A second building was erected about 1871. The present church dates from 1900 and was extensively renovated and improved during 1955 and 1956.

Erected by The Congregation - 1971