Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pegues Place



Marker ID: SCHM 35-15
Location: W side of us 1, within 1 mile of North Carolina line
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 47.988    W 079° 53.362
  34.7998    -79.88936666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

About 1760, French Huguenot immigrant Claudius Pegues settled in this area. His home, Pegues Place, is located one mile west of here. A founder and early officer of St. David´s Episcopal Church in Cheraw, he was elected in 1768 as parish representative to the Commons House of Assembly and in 1785 was named a justice of the county. He died in 1790.


Notes:

Two sided - Revolutionary Cartel