Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Saw Mill Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 35-18
Location: W of Road 209 at its intersection with SC 912
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 37.732    W 079° 46.301
  34.62886666    -79.77168333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In 1785 Philip Pledger donated to the Cheraw Hill Baptist Church a tract of land here adjoining his saw mill. Pledger´s Saw Mill Church was eventually constituted in 1820 as a separate church. The original congregation relocated in 1832 as Bennettsville Church. Sawmill Church today is a member of the S. C. Baptist Educational and Missionary Convention.

Erected by Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission - 1974


Notes:

Two sided - Grave of General Tristram Thomas