Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Beauty Spot



Marker ID: SCHM 35-20
Location: NW comer of Road 647 and Road i7 NE of Bennettsville
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 38.79    W 079° 40.018
  34.6465    -79.66696666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Here stood the first Methodist church of Marlboro County, a single log cabin built in 1783. Here Bishop Francis Asbury presided over and preached at an early Quarterly Conference, held on February 23, 1788. Camp meetings were held here 1810-1842. In 1883, the church was moved to another site, also called Beauty Spot, two miles eastward.

Erected by Marlboro County Historic Preservation Cornmission - 1974